So you read the previous blog about why you should choose modular construction and you have seen the time savings just in station 1 where 4 areas of construction are covered at the same time; the floors, exterior and interior walls, and the roof system. But how about the roles of each entity involved? Your builder? The modular company? Where do you fit in all of this?
First of all you need to think of modular construction as a sub-contractor like a plumber or an electrician. Just as they provide a specific service so do we. Structural Modulars, Inc. (SMI) designs and constructs the structure. Your builder is the one who takes that structure and turns it into your dream home. We partner you with an approved builder from our network who is qualified to work with our structures.
The roles and responsibilities of your builder, the modular manufacturer, and you are as follows:
The BUILDER does all of the preliminary work such as:
- Site Evaluation - this evaluation is extremely important because it will tell the builder if they will need public access to roads and utilities, permits and additional equipment, etc. to make sure the project is feasible and can be completed within the time limit requested.
- Prep Work - the builder will take this time to clear the site of any debris and put in road access. They will gather all necessary paperwork and permits to dig the foundation, etc.
- Design Assistance - the builder will be a resource of information when it comes to the layout and design of your home. They will work directly with our sales department and drafting team to take your floor plan and ideas and assist in the design of your new house.
- Exterior/Interior Finish Work - once your house has been set your builder will finish your home. Depending on what you had requested they may add a front porch, a garage, paint the interior, add trim, install additional siding, landscaping, etc.
STRUCTURAL MODULARS, INC. does the final design work and structure construction of your new home.
- Prepare the permit prints that will be used throughout the entire project.
- Order all materials and products selected for the project.
- Construct the structure using a 5 station process.
- Deliver the units to the site.
- Set the units on the site.
The CLIENT (YOU) has a role in this process as well. You will:
- Work with your financial institution or bank to secure your building funds.
- Provide your builder with any and all information regarding your property to layout the design of your home.
- Select all products and materials used to construct your home.
- Live happily ever after in the home of your dreams.
Here are a few links to handouts that may help you when applying for a loan, purchasing land, or selecting your products and materials, etc.
- Buying Land to Build a House
- How to Get a Home Loan
- Important Contact Information
- Modular Home Checklist
- Products & Materials Guide
- The 5 Station Process
Next week we will discuss the different products and materials you have access to when building your home...here is a hint...the sky is the limit. From Simonton Windows to Shaw Flooring, to Aristokraft Cabinets and Pfister Faucets, these are just a few of our standard products we use.
Until next time, Happy Home Building!