Before your home goes on the production line, there are a few things that you as the owner need to do. Let's assume you have a floor plan with the layout of the rooms. Now it's time to select your doors, windows, flooring, kitchen layout, cabinetry, etc.
Structural Modulars, Inc. has an in-house showroom that is available to you and your builder. We have samples from the majority of the name brands we carry, so if you want to, for example, look at materials for the exterior of your home, you can; or, you can go to our website and use the Products & Materials Guide to assist you with your selections, such as:
- Shingles - The standard product that we use is Owens Corning Duration Architectural Shingles. Owens Corning has many different styles and colors. The shingle color below is from our upgrades & options list. If you prefer another brand, we can research and locate other companies to accommodate your request.
- Siding & Accessories - Plygem Mastic Ovation Siding is the standard siding we use. You may find that you prefer a more expensive color or another collection. Your builder will let you know the price points to keep you on track!
- Entry Doors - We use Thermatru exterior doors that are assembled by BenBilt. The Smooth Fiberglass 6 Panel door is our standard front entry door. The side or rear entry door we use is the Smooth Fiberglass 9-Lite door. Here is a little trivia for you. Did you know that by updating your existing front entry door could add "curb appeal" which when translated could increase the asking price.
Selecting products and materials can be overwhelming, but with the assistance of your builder, our in-house showroom, and smihomes.com, your house will be in production in no time!
Here are a few additional links from our website that provide you with more information regarding products, materials, and other important things you will discuss with your builder.
- Building Standards & Specs - This list shows you the standards we adhere to at SMI. Unless you choose another product brand, these are the materials and standards that will be used in the construction of your new home.
- Upgrades & Options - There is no way we could put all of the upgrades and options that are available to you on paper, so use this list as a starting point. The sky is the limit!
- Modular Home Checklist - Because we can completely customize your home, every list is different, so use this checklist as an example or guide to what decisions you will have to make.
- Additional Items To Consider - This is a list of ideas that you and your builder will also discuss. Do you want your sound system wiring behind the walls? How about installing a central vacuum system? If there is something that can be installed on the production line, we can look into providing that additional service. Items like your hot water heater and HVAC hookups, a porch, or a garage will be taken care of on-site by your builder.
So, if you are interested in learning more about modular design and construction, I have an invitation for you. On Friday, August 24 from 10 am - 6 pm, and Saturday, August 25 from 10 am - 4 pm, Structural Modulars will be hosting an open house introducing our newest model, "The Essex". If you find you have time, please stop by and walk through. We will also offer tours of the showroom and production line.
However, if you are too far away, we will be live streaming the tour of the model on our Facebook page at 4:00 pm on Friday and 3:00 pm on Saturday. Feel free to post your questions, thoughts, suggestions, and opinions while we give the tour.
For more information about our open house please go to http://www.smihomes.com/openhouse.