Since I work for the best modular manufacturer in the business I decided that I am going to set out on a journey and design my dream home.
I start by answering 10 simple questions about what I want.
- Downsizing or Expanding? - Well personally I am expanding but I think I am at the age to downsize. It is just me and my daughter E and maybe my parents in a few years. NOTE TO SELF: put in an exercise room.
- Crawl Space or Basement? - If you live in PA you have a basement. It doesn't mean it has to be finished right away. So I pick a basement or maybe a combination of the two.
- # of Bedrooms? 2 to 3 bedrooms
- Location of the Bedrooms? I am thinking that guests and E on one side and my bedroom on the other side of the house. She is growing up and I know I wanted my privacy at her age and older. Plus if my parents move in she and I could be on the one side and they could be on the other.
- # of Bathrooms? Two. Only two. I cannot stand to clean bathrooms!
- Style of Home? I am definitely for a one-story. I am drawn to a more modern interior but maybe a little more of cottage feel on the outside.
- Traditional Layout or Open Floor Concept? Definitely open floor concept! I love that.
- Ceiling Height? I grew up with a family room that has high ceilings and I love it. So maybe in the common area and kitchen.
- Where Do You Spend the Most Time? I love hanging out in the kitchen cooking while E does her homework. And I am a big movie buff so the living room as well.
- What about Balconies, Decks, Porches, an Attached Garage? I have never had a garage where my car was parked all the time. I have shoveled, scraped, wiped, chipped, and jumped my car outside since I was in college and on my own. So I want a garage. But it doesn't have to be heated or big. Just to park a car, a bike, and a scooter. As for a patio? Definitely!!!!
Here is the original floor plan I found online. Based on the questions I answered above I will meet with Structural Modulars drafting team to come up with exactly what I want. Subscribe to my blog so you see what I decide and the steps that follow. Until next week...Happy Home Building!